Wednesday, October 21, 2009

News Source Comparison

After reading the blogs of my classmates about where we get our news, I couldn’t help but notice that everyone’s ways of getting news are different in some sort of way. It seemed like what may be one person’s main source of news may not even be included at all in someone else’s ways of getting news. For example, a lot of people mentioned that they use the radio very often to get news and information. I, on the other hand do not listen to the radio at all so it was not included at all in my source of news.

There is the news sources that common throughout everyone’s though. These included things such as the news on TV and internet. Mostly everybody mentioned something along the lines of CNN or BBC or New York Times. Also, most people mentioned that they also get some news while talking to peers, though that was never anyone’s main source. The big difference of my news sources compared to the ones of my classmates is that I don’t use the internet for news as much as others do. Actually the internet is like my last resort. I guess it can be said that it is pretty lazy that I would rather ask people about something that I have heard instead of actually actively looking it up myself. But I never had the internet at home so I’m just not use to having that information right at my fingertips yet.

The problem I noticed is that most people will not go out of their way to get news. I’m not saying that everybody waits for the news to come to them but it did seem like the majority of people do, including me. This is probably because most people have other things on their minds, especially people like us in college. We are always thinking about all the homework we need to get done and the tests we need to study for, so the news is never one of our main priorities. Most blogs I read mentioned things about how someone used to watch, read, or listen to something in high school that they no longer get to now. This is probably because news just isn’t as important to us now that we don’t have time for it. But as soon as we are out of college, we will probably get right back into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment