Monday, October 26, 2009

Jeff Jarvis and His Press-Sphere

From what I understand after reading Jeff Jarvis’s blog post called “The Press Becomes the Press-Sphere”, is that in the past the news use to simply come from the press. Something would happen and the press would turn into a story and release it to the public. But now, that process has been completely altered. Now, according to Jarvis, our news comes from many different sources besides the press, including the government, peers, and many more sources. With all these new sources, it is changing the way the news is presented. With all these sources, there can be many different views, opinions, or takes on the same story.
But when it comes to the whole article itself, I was pretty confused the whole time I was reading. I’m not sure if he was saying the press-sphere is better or worse than the old way of reporting the news and then he had a lot more charts that just added to the confusion. I was especially confused with the chart for the new news process; it was just a bunch of arrows and words pointing in different directions. I also can’t tell if in the new press-sphere model and the me-sphere model, some of the circles that the words are in are bigger than others for a reason. He really needed to explain his models. Then towards the end, he had a bulleted list of some points, but some of them came off as positive and some came off as being negative so that was also confusing. Sorry this is a short post but I just don’t have too much to say on this reading.

2 comments:

  1. Your post is the first I've read to mention Jarvis's bullet points at the end. I agree with you. Those were confusing in format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Those points, besides the diagrams, were my least favorite part of the whole reading. They contradicted some of the tings he said and it jsut confused me.

    ReplyDelete