Thursday, October 22, 2009

Experience of The New York Times

My experience of reading the New York Times has not been as terrible as I expected. Normally I hate reading stuff like this unless it is something that I am really interested in, but now that I have been regularly looking at it, I have noticed that there are a lot of small random stories, that I would normally overlook, that have been catching my attention and are actually interesting. Sure, there are sometimes when you open the page and the main story is about a woman who raises chickens and that is surrounded by politics and the healthcare reform, but if you navigate around, you are bound to find something that is interesting. Something I don’t like about the New York Times website though is that I feel it is too repetitive, like it always has headlines about the same old stuff and it gets really old. They did have the article about the lady raising chickens I mentioned in the headlines though, but I feel that didn’t exactly deserve to be there.

As far as the New York Times influencing my other reading and writing habits, I don’t think it has happened yet. We have only been following it for about a week now and I think if it’s going to influence the other things I read and write it is going to take longer than that. I do feel better though that I know more that is going on and when my dad now starts to talk about something to me about politics, I may have a clue what he is talking about and maybe I can actually carry on a conversation about it with him. So I guess in that sense it has influenced my interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment