Towards the beginning of the year, we were to do a reading on Nicholas Carr’s “Is Google Making Us Stupid?” In this article, after reading and doing my blog post, I answered yes it is making us stupid. I’m not sure why I said that. I don’t know if I was in a hurry and just wanted to get that post done or what, but I remember after doing a few more readings about the subject I went back and looked at the first two paragraphs of that particular post and I thought to myself, “Wow, don’t agree with what I wrote hardly at all.” But it’s mostly only the first two paragraphs I disagree with. In those paragraphs, I was a negative about the whole idea, while in the rest of it; I contradicted myself by being positive, which is the way I really feel about his article.
In the post, I said that the internet has become the substitute for everything and that this is a problem. I would like to counter myself by saying yes it has become a substitute for a lot of things but this is definitely not a problem. Why not take advantage of having something that we can use for almost everything we need in our lives? It is so convenient to us and there is nothing wrong with having convenience in our lives. Also I said it is a problem that everything we need to know is located right at the end of our fingertips. Well that definitely isn’t a problem. If you don’t know something, you should look it up or else you will never learn it. Now, what is a better way to look something up; by going through books and encyclopedias or just searching for it on Google? So I’m not sure what I was thinking when we first did the post on Carr’s article but I am sure glad we got to do this post where I got a chance to redeem myself and fix my mistake.
No comments:
Post a Comment